Graal Classic > Classic Main Forum

How did you accomplish the rising water?

(1/4) > >>

maximus_asinus:
I'm trying to replicate the rising water from Link to the Past. How did you accomplish this Thor? Was it a combination of showpoly and changing the zoom (is that even possible?). Or did you create an image and stretch it?

Thor:
A combination of showpoly and setshape2.

maximus_asinus:
Maybe you can help me. I am not sure how you moved the showpoly, but I am using the following (tweaked a bit, this is an example).

--- Code: ---  toPlayerX = playerx - x;
  toPlayerY = playery - y;
  toPlayerLength = (toPlayerX * toPlayerX + toPlayerY * toPlayerY) ^ 0.5;
  toPlayerX = toPlayerX / toPlayerLength;
  toPlayerY = toPlayerY / toPlayerLength;
  x = x + toPlayerX * this.speed;
  y = y + toPlayerY * this.speed;

--- End code ---

This has the showpoly moving in a very fluid manner. The problem is it never reaches the exact target coordinates (always off by a few hundredths of a decimal point). This causes some very weird visual glitches where the showpoly will 'bounce' between two coordinates. If I could control the increments (to 0.05 for example) that it moved that would solve my problem, but I don't really understand the math enough to do this. Can you help me out?

Thor:
I'm not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish here, as surely the water should rise irrespective of the player's position, unless this is inside a gani script?

What I do is store a tile width and height of the fill area, as well as a filled width and height, and calculate the showpoly x/y/position like so:

--- Code: ---function updatePoly() {
  temp.x = this.x + this.getWaterX();
  temp.y = this.y + this.getWaterY();
  this.showpoly(200, {temp.x, temp.y, temp.x + this.filledWidth, temp.y, temp.x + this.filledWidth, temp.y + this.filledHeight, temp.x, temp.y + this.filledHeight});
}

function getWaterX()
  return (this.waterWidth - this.filledWidth) / 2;

function getWaterY()
  return (this.waterHeight - this.filledHeight) / 2;

--- End code ---

maximus_asinus:
I should have been clear that what I posted was the formula I based the water movement on. This is my original script.

--- Code: ---//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated() {
this.setimg("block.png");
}
function onActionPulled() {
    if (this.waterlevel == 0) {
  this.final = {9,39,47,39,47,27,55,27,55,47,9,47}; // x, y values of where the water starts filling
    this.current = {11,41,49,41,49,29,53,29,53,45,11,45}; // x, y values where the water is finished filling
    }
    else if (this.waterlevel == 1) {
  this.final = {11,41,49,41,49,29,53,29,53,45,11,45};
    this.current ={9,39,47,39,47,27,55,27,55,47,9,47}; 

}
    this.time = 0;
    this.waterlevel = !this.waterlevel;
    setTimer(0.05);
}
function onTimeout() {
    for (this.a=0;this.a<=this.final.size();this.a++;) {
      this.distx = this.final[0+this.a] - this.current[0+this.a]; // finds the difference between the coordinates in both arrays
      this.disty = this.final[1+this.a] - this.current[1+this.a];
      this.movelength = (this.distx * this.distx + this.disty * this.disty) ^ 0.5; // finds out how many tiles away
      this.distx = this.distx / this.movelength;
      this.disty = this.disty / this.movelength;
      this.current[0+this.a] = this.current[0+this.a] + this.distx * 0.05; // move a step towards the final target
      this.current[1+this.a] = this.current[1+this.a] + this.disty * 0.05;
      showpoly(200,this.current);
      changeimgcolors 200,0,0,1,0.75;
      this.a++;
    }
    setTimer(0.05);
  }
}

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page