Classic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

some big news are coming camed.

Author Topic: The Warptex and Online Editor  (Read 10252 times)

Basi

• Graal Help
  • Rommiel
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
The Warptex and Online Editor
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »

I would like to propose the reinstatement of the warptex system.

For those who are unaware, the warptex was a system where you could create a level in offline editor, and get it uploaded to your 'world'. This was essentially a playerhouse system of Classic. Allow me to first address that this would not replace the idea of having houses on the overworld, this would be in addition to having houses and/or guild houses on the overworld. I believe that if players want to, that they should be able to create their own little world inside of their house.

The first problem we would encounter would be: How will we go about uploading the levels?
We could either continue the system of using offline editor, then submitting your level to a staff member to have it uploaded continue, or we could implement an online editor. The reason that i lean more towards implementing an online editor is because due to the possibility of Classic going Facebook, newer players would have to download the Graal client in order to download the offline editor which seems like a bit of a hassle and maybe just a bit too much for us to ask of newer players just to design their house. An online editor would be quick and easy.

The second problem, branching off of the online editor, would be: How do we regulate what people are doing with the online editor tool?
If/When Classic goes Facebook, we cannot be certain what our playercount will be. Whether or not we will be able to manually manage each individual person's warptex world is uncertain. Two ways that we can attempt to manage warptex playerworlds and the use of online editor, would be to, 1.) Use a soft threat. By that i mean, if you are caught creating vulgar images out of tiles, or using online editor that in any way that it is not designed for, then your house could be deleted. The other way we could manage this is 2.) Have a form of babysitting where we might have a specific staff position created to check playerhouses bi-weekly or so.

Any other suggestions regarding this are welcomed. I just wanted to humbly throw the suggestion out there.

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
Re: The Warptex and Online Editor
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »

I should point out that there is no reason why there couldn't be the ability to have levels uploaded by staff, and then be able to modify the tiles with an online editor afterwards.

Personally though I've always thought that if it were just a tile editor or house template selector, it's a lot of scripting work for player content that ends up very generic/repetitive. The old fashion route would require a lot of organisation and publishing of resources/tutorials, but if successful would produce a far better end product. Being Classic/Graal the Adventure it would mean something to try and preserve that.

Ranger

• Graal Help
  • GH Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »

Just out of curiosity, are you going to have playerhouses/playerworlds of some sort on Classic again at some point?

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

Just out of curiosity, are you going to have playerhouses/playerworlds of some sort on Classic again at some point?

It's one of those things I'd want to implement if Classic was ever in a position where there was always plenty of activities for players to do.

WaFFL3Cake

• June PK Champion (2015)
  • i'm normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »

I suggest making a temporary hotel where players can get their own room and use the tile editor inside of it until the 'warptex worlds' or whatever is to be decided gets released.
Rommiel

Ranger

• Graal Help
  • GH Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »

I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of temporary thing once we get closer to a release time.  It would increase playercount as well as the amount of time players spend online editing their rooms/houses.  As of now though I don't think the timing is quite right.  When this thread was created, maybe, but not now.  It's okay though, there will be another surge of activity in due time.

Racil

• Development
  • Archon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:29:49 AM »

What about makeing shack on demand link to playerhouses if the player has one uploaded? The shack would be an npc placed and then removed when the owner logs off (for more than five minutes to account for the reconnect bugs) You'd get an option to enable entering these kinds of playerhouses in the options menue, default set to off, so you don't have people spam them in a pk area.
The owner of the playerhouse would be able to lock andunlock the shack entrance, even when the house is placed on the map.
This would of course mean we'd have to make doors that lock from the inside if the player does not have enough questprogression to enter the area the house is located in.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:32:49 AM by Racil »

WaFFL3Cake

• June PK Champion (2015)
  • i'm normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »

What about makeing shack on demand link to playerhouses if the player has one uploaded? The shack would be an npc placed and then removed when the owner logs off (for more than five minutes to account for the reconnect bugs) You'd get an option to enable entering these kinds of playerhouses in the options menue, default set to off, so you don't have people spam them in a pk area.
The owner of the playerhouse would be able to lock andunlock the shack entrance, even when the house is placed on the map.
This would of course mean we'd have to make doors that lock from the inside if the player does not have enough questprogression to enter the area the house is located in.

the idea works with a playercount like the current one and is lot better than UN's "you have to be invited to be able to enter someone's house" thing.  i think it would be cool to see random buildings popped up around the map too; it would be interesting.
Rommiel