Classic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

some big news are coming camed.

Author Topic: Level stacking and/or height detection  (Read 6535 times)

Cloud

• Development
    • View Profile
Level stacking and/or height detection
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »

In A Link to the Past there are some levels where the bottom floor on the map can be seen in the background scrolling before you get down there. I was wondering what kind of programming nightmare that might be if even possible at all in Graal. I was thinking it would be easier to just use a screen capture of the lower level but if the actual stage could be seen with baddies moving around, puzzles intact, etc. that might be a really sweet effect. Especially in the case that you've already got really cool implementation for falling off ledges. I was also wondering if it would be possible to implement a height element in Graal so that rather than only X and Y there could actually be a 3D field involving Z movement (could be used for jumping, falling, flying, whatever you might imagine). That way you couldn't attack enemies with projectiles through cliff wall tiles and the like, or if you threw a bomb from a cliff it would fall a little bit further. This is not the same idea as level layering.

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
Re: Level stacking and/or height detection
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »

In A Link to the Past there are some levels where the bottom floor on the map can be seen in the background scrolling before you get down there. I was wondering what kind of programming nightmare that might be if even possible at all in Graal.

It would be a nightmare of astronomical proportions.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to implement a height element in Graal so that rather than only X and Y there could actually be a 3D field involving Z movement (could be used for jumping, falling, flying, whatever you might imagine). That way you couldn't attack enemies with projectiles through cliff wall tiles and the like, or if you threw a bomb from a cliff it would fall a little bit further. This is not the same idea as level layering.

I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done if someone really wanted to do it, but it's not something that would be possible on this server without a massive overhaul to the systems, and the amount of resources it would use up if made in GScript would be problematic. The required scenario for a Graal server to pull this off in any meaningful capacity would be a new Graal Graal client with this built in to the default systems.

Cloud

• Development
    • View Profile
Re: Level stacking and/or height detection
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »

Would there be any way to simply emulate the height difference by creating the effect that you can't hit enemies who are on a separate elevation? Like say there would be three tiers in a level that could be signified in the player NPC, the projectile and the baddy by the numbers 1, 2, and 3. Seems like a really easy way to fix the problem if arrows on tier 2 go straight over NPC baddies on tier 1, for example.