Classic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

some big news are coming camed.

Author Topic: Coral Capers (Event Idea)  (Read 12232 times)

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
Coral Capers (Event Idea)
« on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

My AC is broken so I'm up a bit later than normal, so how about an event idea? This would require an amount of scripting, not something that could be used now.

So essentially I wrote a quick outline in  Xiao's other thread.

I think it would be neat to have a maze like level set underwater where the players have to swim around using the arrow keys, pressing A to get sort of a dash swim to close in on a player.

I'm expanding the idea, drawing my inspiration from Donkey Kong Country, and Mario 3 battle mode. Now I'm thinking that you start in an underwater level, made symmetrically with different levels or zones.

Think the battle mode from Mario 3:

Or a top down view from Mario Kart:

But more aesthetically similar to Donkey Kong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH-UGtfGH8I

The level would have sort of a gravity, think how most 2D games work in regards to swimming physics. You would navigate left or right with the arrow keys, have to tap A to move up, release A to sink, and S would be a sword attack.

Best example I can think of is World 2-2 from Mario Bros for the NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHgirqdiHc

In the middle of the level at a certain interval a crate will spawn. When you open this crate a swordfish would spawn that you would grab onto. The controls would change, you would no longer sink, you'd move with the arrows keys (though the movement would be a bit slippery), and S or A would have to do a thrusting attack which would also give you a boost of speed.

Skip to 1:53 for an example of Engarde's movement from Donkey Kong Country:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t76owz173g

* The swordfish attack would be stronger than the regular attack. If you're attacked while riding the swordfish, you will be knocked off, allowing the other player the chance of getting on and using the swordfish. Repeatedly attacking the swordfish will have it dash attack, and eventually swim out of the level.

* The goal is obviously to kill all the other players. The event would work with FFA, teams, and lives based elimination.

I'd like some feedback, and input on how feasible something like this could be done. I think something like this is right up Thor's alley. He has done a great job emulating Zelda's dungeon design style and gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:12:03 PM by maximus_asinus »

Racil

• Development
  • Archon
    • View Profile
Re: Coral Capers (Event Idea)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:12:23 AM »

When it comes to gfx I think it might be possible to rotate the carrying object sprite to make a swimming animation, and a swordfish 'horse' shouldn't be an issue to make.
Could add some corals to the (yet to be implemented) sidescroller tileset we have and give it a blue or green tint.
Sidescroller underwater levels is something we'd most likely had wanted to make if we had gotten to avalon in the quests.

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »

When it comes to gfx I think it might be possible to rotate the carrying object sprite to make a swimming animation, and a swordfish 'horse' shouldn't be an issue to make.
Could add some corals to the (yet to be implemented) sidescroller tileset we have and give it a blue or green tint.
Sidescroller underwater levels is something we'd most likely had wanted to make if we had gotten to avalon in the quests.

I tried demoing your suggestion on rotating the carrying animation and included the sword animation to see if it was aesthetically pleasing. Turns out it doesn't look half bad.

http://imgur.com/8M7UI0J

For the water, you could probably do a tint with maybe an image overlaid in the foreground showing a light source from above defusing through the water. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HlWwiJw2bPk/maxresdefault.jpg. But I'd rather see some sort of scrolling scan line effect that would give the illusion that there was a current.

I don't know if you can replicate what I'm looking for with a horse however. The idea in my head has the swordfish functioning in a completely different way, well identical to how it works in Donkey Kong Country. I know you're trying to suggest something that would keep scripting to a minimum, but I really would rather stay away from hacking this together.

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »

I borrowed an En Guarde sprite from google images and continued my mockup.

http://i.imgur.com/6pRoxGf.gifv

The animation is a bit jenky because of the delay I set per frame, but you can probably tell what I'm going for a bit more.

xiaoguard

• LAT & Graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »

I borrowed an En Guarde sprite from google images and continued my mockup.

http://i.imgur.com/6pRoxGf.gifv

The animation is a bit jenky because of the delay I set per frame, but you can probably tell what I'm going for a bit more.

Oh damn, that's really cool. o:
[2:36:04 AM] Ravster 114: Skyzer is working on new events xd
[2:36:17 AM] xiaoguard: oh fun i still want that dating event
[2:36:21 AM] xiaoguard: everyone has a chance to bone erika
[2:36:32 AM] Ravster 114: Lmao

Racil

• Development
  • Archon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 01:35:34 AM »

Oh, I didn't mean we'd make it a horse with the current horse system (I am just horrible at communicating). It would have to be a separate kind of object to have the attack and other functions you wanted it to have.

I believe it is also possible to have a background image that moves when the player does like in the donkey kong level. Valikorlia does it by adding transparent tiles to the tileset and displaying images below the level.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:44:19 AM by Racil »

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »

just more mucking around, hacked together a tileset from SMW and tiled a demo level in Gonstruct then applied a static image I found on Google for a background (thanks goes to Kirko for supplying the script). This stuff almost makes me miss dev work.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:56:01 PM by maximus_asinus »

Racil

• Development
  • Archon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 01:26:27 AM »

Looks nice.

PoJo

• (zorbi)
  • wahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:15:05 AM »

This stuff almost makes me miss dev work.
Careful, you're on a slippery slope

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »

I'm willing to create the levels, ganis, and images (though I have very little experience in this area). If there is any interest in this idea (besides my own), maybe we can convince Thor to do the scripting. We just need to give him a kick in the ass.

Racil

• Development
  • Archon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 01:02:16 PM »

I'd help with images.

maximus_asinus

• GC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »

I'd help with images.
Then we're all set. Come on Thor!

Here is my last mock-up. The crate in the center would hold the swordfish, the pipes would allow for quick transit around the level. As for the level itself, I was inspired by the interior section of the Pacman maze, and would likely continue to style my level after it. Maybe add some environmental hazards as well, like seaweed, or sharp coral.

http://i.imgur.com/MxfBVee.png
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:21:45 PM by maximus_asinus »