Classic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

some big news are coming camed.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spar + PK Ranks  (Read 18072 times)

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
Spar + PK Ranks
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »

With activity somewhat low, and there currently being an uncertainty over the development of a local guilds system, I believe it may be worth re-visiting the spar + pk ranks similar to how we had pre-wipe. Something like this is not too complex and so wouldn't take a long time to implement.

The old system worked by simply adding points to a player each time they killed another player or won a spar. More points were obtained against those with a high number of points, and with PKing more points were obtained when there was a higher number of players in the level.
The 2 players with the highest points total received a statue for the next month.

What I believe were the main problems with the old system however, were that it didn't take into account deaths/defeats, and it was too easy to obtain a lot of points by fighting the same person over and over again.
Therefore I propose a new system where deaths/defeats deduct a fraction of the points obtained by kills/wins, and points are the same regardless of the victim.
I also believe it would be better to ignore kills within events, to keep the PK rank more about pure PKing. The fact that a higher playercount earned more points also seems to have been flawed as it didn't require nearby players to actually be PKing.

Previously the winner statues were within the Castle, it would make sense to now have them within SuperNick's.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Novagraf

• View Profile
Re: Spar + PK Ranks
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:26 PM »

Possibly theres a multiplier to points based off your k/d  win/defeat ratio?

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »

Not sure if that would be necessary if you're already losing points after defeats/kills.

Novagraf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »

Instead of losing points based off defeats/deaths is what I'm getting at. 
Player A: 220-100
Player B: 100-10
Player C: 500-300

Which do you believe should get the win?

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

I see what you mean.
Though we need to be careful to not put too much emphasis on ratio.

Ðope

• Graal Help
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

More players will just pause or run in fear of losing points which could possibly result in less pking on the server

spyke

• GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »

I remember this being a neat feature in the past. If it's not a terribly lengthy process to readd, it could be an interesting addition. I don't know if it would necessarily secure too many more additional players, though. UN is our largest competition currently and it's biggest pull is it's events, simple as that. They have a huge (yet sloppy) overworld but 90% of the players are either in the events lobby or the spar arena.

It could have something to due with the hours I play, but there are a few GCs that I very rarely see host. Sometimes the player count will be around 20 yet no one is around to host events, which I feel would definitely increase or at least maintain traffic on Classic. I know that it is currently in the works, but honestly the quest line right now is somewhat short, even though it is superior to anything else seen on any other server. Events are probably going to the best bet to pull people at this point in time. This is what I've observed since relaunch so far and is just my two cents.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:55:21 AM by spyke »

PoJo

• (zorbi)
  • wahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »

I remember this being a neat feature in the past. If it's not a terribly lengthy process to readd, it could be an interesting addition. I don't know if it would necessarily secure too many more additional players, though. UN is our largest competition currently and it's biggest pull is it's events, simple as that. They have a huge (yet sloppy) overworld but 90% of the players are either in the events lobby or the spar arena.

UN is also just fun to be on. There's scattered quests and minigames, a large map with a lot to see, filled with playerhouses and levels that I personally love exploring. There's stuff to do and look at beyond events. Yes, sure, the events are the main course, but there's plenty to do and play with when you're not in events or PKing.

Classic has a card game. If there's not someone on hosting the limited variety of events, then there's only that.

Dante Darkmane

• Development
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »

I think you should bring back the part where the better you are at PKing or sparring, the more intense of a blue your name got. I remember when a dark name meant you were pretty sucky at PK and as you got better it progressed to greenish, then blue, then blue/white... maybe higher I never was that great at PK ;P

Skyzer

• Zolderon
  • TCG Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »

What the heck are you talking about?
I'm lazy.

Trip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »

Bringing spar points back would be fun. That was the primary reason I consistantly sparred before the wipe

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »

I'm struggling to think of a formula that favours frequency a bit more than ratio, but not by too much.
   Everything I try seems to favour ratio a lot, except this:

(kills / deaths) * (kills + deaths)

Player A: 220-100
   Player B: 100-10
   Player C: 500-300

Player A: 703
   Player B: 1100
   Player C: 1333

I'm no mathematician.

Thor

• Manager
  • The Higher Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »

Now going with:

Code: [Select]
(kills / deaths) * ((kills + deaths) * 0.8)
Raises the importance of ratio over frequency slightly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:39:17 PM by Thor »

Inevitable

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »

It would be cool if the person ranked 1 at the end of the month won like 20 gc tickets or something as well as the statue

PoJo

• (zorbi)
  • wahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »

Belts are infinitely cooler than statues
Pages: [1] 2